Connexions Resource Centre
Focus on Russia
Recent & Selected Articles
- This is a small sampling of articles related to education and children in the Connexions Online Library. For more articles, books, films, and other resources, check the Connexions Library Subject Index, especially under topics such as
- Crimea, Georgia and the New Olympic Sport: Russia Bashing (August 19, 2016)
- Western Narrative of Crimea a Pack of Lies Born of Failed Policy and Historical Ignorance (June 11, 2015)
The Western line on Crimea is so absurd that it actually requires mass historical ignorance to be believed.
- US-EU sanctions against Russia: A barely veiled threat of war (March 18, 2014)
In his speech on March 17, 2014 announcing sanctions against Kremlin officials in retaliation for the Russian-backed referendum in Crimea supporting secession from Ukraine and affiliation with Russia, US President Barack Obama made clear that the United States and its European Union (EU) allies would use all means necessary, not excluding military action, to humiliate and crush Russia.
- Perspectives on Putin's Russia (May 1, 2012)
The demonstrations of December 10 and 24, 2012 in Moscow, in which tens of thousands of people took part, show clearly that the period of social passivity in Russia is nearing its end.
- Political Repression in Russia (January 1, 2011)
When someone in Russia today calls himself a Communist, in most cases it will turn out that what you have is a particular version of a National Socialist; all too many anarchists turn out to be national anarchists.
- IFJ Backs Russian and Asian Unions in Campaign to Rebuild Trust in Media (May 14, 2009)
The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) is backing a regional campaign led by journalists' leaders from Russia, Turkey and Central Asia to strengthen quality journalism in the face of political pressure and a media crisis across the region.
- Russia: Investigate Murder of Prominent Rights Lawyer (January 23, 2009)
Russian authorities should immediately investigate the killing of Stanislav Markelov, a prominent Russian human rights lawyer, and bring his killers to justice, Human Rights Watch says.
- Ossetia-Russia-Georgia (2008)
Chomsky points out the hypocrisy of threatening Russia with exclusion from international society due to the violation of the international principle of respecting other nations' sovereignty. He further explores how to integrate and handle Russia in the context of the modern world order and the threat of a Cold War II.
Selected Websites and Organizations
- This is a small sampling of organizations and websites concerned with education and children in the Connexions Directory. For more organizations and websites, check the Connexions Directory Subject Index, especially under topics such as
Books, Films and Periodicals
- This is a small sampling of books related to education and children in the
Connexions Online Library. For more books and other resources, check the Connexions Library
Subject Index, especially under topics such as
- The Kronstadt Commune
Author: Mett, Ida
A history of the Kronstadt Uprising 1921 which highlights one of the most important yet neglected events of the Russian Revolution. The suppression of the most revolutionary section of the Navy by the Bolsheviks was the final blow to any hope of a genuine revolution based on democratic workers' control. Mett dispels many of the contemporary mistruths put forward by Bolshevik propagandists and includes a number of original sources from the commune.
- Ten Days That Shook The World
Author: Reed, John
John Reed's gripping account of the Russian Revolution of November 1917.
Learning from our History
Resources for Activists
The Connexions Calendar - An event calendar for activists.
Media Names & Numbers - A comprehensive directory of Canada's print and broadcast media. (CX5857).
Sources - A directory that enables journalists to find spokespersons of organizations. Organizations that list themselves in Sources signficantly increase their odds of getting called by reporters when they are doing a story of their issues..
Connect with Connexions
Newsletter Facebook Twitter