- Association for Women's Rights in Development
AWID's mission is to connect, inform and mobilize people and organizations committed to achieving gender equality, sustainable development and women's human rights.
- Bat Shalom (Daughter of Peace)
Feminist peace organization working toward a just peace between Israel and its Arab neighbours.
- Organization for Women's Liberation - Iran
Organisation for Women's Liberation (OWL) was built on 14th December 2002 in direct response to the growing women's movement in Iran for equality and liberation The contemporary history of women's movement in Iran dates back to the 1979 uprising, when their struggle and aspirations for an equal and just society for all was crushed by the newly empowered Islamic Republic of Iran.
Women were the first social strata of the society to be suppressed by the Islamic regime. The imposition of Islamic laws, such as the compulsory veil, gender segregation in public places, negation of the right to divorce or custody of children for women, and the subsequent punishments for defying these laws, such as arrests, imprisonment, stoning and execution have all made life a hell for millions of women in Iran.
However, what we are witnessing in Iran is the growing women's movement to combat women's suppression and humiliation. Women in Iran demand freedom, equality, separation of religion from state, and an end to sexual apartheid. OWL belongs to this movement. We regard political Islam as one of the main obstacles in the path of women's movement for change, especially in the Middle Eastern countries.
- Women Living Under Muslim Law
WLUML is an international solidarity network that provides information and support for those women whose lives have been shaped by the customs and/or laws of Islam. It extends to more 70 countries and links all women who see themselves to have been influenced by the Islamic world.
- Black American Feminisms
An extensive bibliography of black American Feminist thought from across the disciplines.
- Feminist Majority Foundation
News, resources, articles, and links of interest to women on a wide range of topics. Access to archives and searchable databases of documents.
News, resources, links to activist pages dealing with women's rights and equality. Articles, speeches, documents. Classified ads.
- Feminists Against Censorship
A group of feminist academics and campaigners who fight censorship from a feminist perspective. They believe:
1) Censorship is a dangerous tool that is primarily used to suppress dissent from those who would challenge oppression by society and the state, and particularly victimizes minorities.
2) Censorship is used by those in power as a way to avoid dealing with serious, intractable problems in society that require real, imaginative action, and are not solved by banning words and images.
3) Women must have recourse to free expression in order to explore the truth of our own experience and sexuality that has been forcibly hidden from us for millennia, and the state must no longer be permitted to interfere with this discourse.
4) Censorship can never eliminate evil ideas, and so the best answer to bad speech is more speech.
5) Censorship gives unacceptable powers to the police to invade our privacy and harass individuals who they find threatening although they pose no threat to others.
- The Global Campagin to Stop Killing and Stoning Women
Campaign initiated by a group of lawyers, activists, journalists and academics in order to address the intensifying trend of cultural/religious legitimization of lethal violence against women.
- Lesbians & Gays Topic Index in Sources Directory of Experts
A subject guide to experts and spokespersons on topics related to lesbians, gays, and bi-sexuals in the Sources directory for the media.
- Machsom Watch
Israeli women's organization which monitors the behaviour of Israeli soldiers and police at checkpoints and which attempts to ensure that the human and civil rights of Palestinians in the Occupied Territories are protected.
- Parenting Topic Index in Sources Directory of Experts
A subject guide to experts and spokespersons on topics related to parenting in the Sources directory for the media.
- Violence Topic Index in Sources Directory of Experts
A subject guide to experts and spokespersons on topics related to violence in the Sources directory for the media.
- Women Topic Index in Sources Directory of Experts
A subject guide to experts and spokespersons on topics related to women and women's issue in the Sources directory for the media.
News, activism alerts, and links to many resources for women.
Connexions Information Sharing Services
Catalogue of more than 13,000 books, articles, films, periodicals, websites and other resources.
Library of Congress classification,
Year of Publication.
Associations and NGOs dealing with social and environmental issues — A-Z Index or Subject Index.
For experts and media spokespersons also see the Sources directory and the comprehensive Sources Subject Index.
Selected Internet resources featuring information about alternatives.
Events from across Canada. Also see: Sources Calendar and news releases.
Publicity and Media
Resources, publications and articles to help you get publicity and raise awareness. Plus Media Names & Numbers Canadian media directory, the Parliamentary Names & Numbers Canadian government directory, and mailing lists.
Connexions welcomes your support. Your donations make our work possible. Volunteers always welcome.
Connexions exists to support individuals and groups working for freedom and social justice. We work to maintain and make available a record of the theory and practice of people struggling against oppression and for social change. We believe that the more we know about the struggles, victories, and defeats of the past, and about those who took part in them, the better equipped we will be to bring a new world into being.
Connexions maintains a physical archive of books and documents, and is engaged in an ongoing project to build and expand an indexed digital archive of documents. We try to feature a wide variety of resources reflecting a diversity of viewpoints and approaches to social change within our overall mandate of support for democracy, civil liberties, freedom of expression, universal human rights, secularism, equality, economic justice, environmental responsibility, and the creation and preservation of community.
We are internationalist in our orientation, but as a Canadian-based project we feature an especially extensive collection of Canadian documents and profiles of Canadian activist organizations.