Librarians and Archivists with Palestine
Connexions Directory of Groups & Websites 2017
Purpose: A network of self-defined librarians, archivists, and information workers in solidarity with the Palestinian struggle for self-determination. Our network consists of individual members, working groups, a steering committee, and an advisory board.
In all our work we are guided by the following core principles:
* We believe that the right to information is essential to human liberty, and we know that protecting this right is a complicated task.
* We are committed to working to end Israel's theft and appropriation of Palestinian cultural property - whether that property takes the form of land, buildings, books, or documents. We believe that, as information workers, we have a special responsibility to speak out in opposition to the closure and destruction of Palestinian libraries and archival institutions; the ongoing attempts to erase, deny or misrepresent Palestinian culture and history; and the embargo of books and other cultural materials from abroad destined for Palestinian libraries, archives, and other cultural institutions.
* We are committed to fostering non-hierarchical exchange with Palestinian partners inside and outside Palestine. We seek connections with colleagues in Palestinian libraries, archives, and related projects and institutions with the goal of gaining mutual benefit through information and skill-sharing.
* We respect and abide by the 2005 call issued by Palestinian civil society for a campaign of Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) against Israel until it complies with international law and Palestinian rights. As librarians and archivists, as people who believe in access to information, we affirm that institutional academic and cultural boycotts are appropriate responses to curtailed freedoms and are effective tools for change.
* We are committed to the liberation of all people, and against oppression and discrimination of all kinds.
Geographic Scope: International
Experts on similar topics in the Sources Directory:
Connect with Connexions
Newsletter Facebook Twitter