Connexions Directory of Groups & Websites 2016
Purpose: A worldwide fellowship of scholar activists.
The Transnational Institute (TNI) was established in 1974 as an international network of activist researchers ('scholar activists') committed to critical analyses of the global problems of today and tomorrow. It aims to provide intellectual support to movements struggling for a more democratic, equitable and environmentally sustainable world.
Over almost 40 years, TNI has gained an international reputation for:
* carrying out well researched and radical critiques - sometimes against the grain - of current pressing global problems
* anticipating and producing informed work on key issues long before they become mainstream concerns, for example, our work on food and hunger, third world debt, transnational corporations, trade, and carbon trading
* Supporting and enhancing social movements# work for economic and social justice worldwide
* naming outstanding TNI fellows from many countries and backgrounds whose scholarship, analysis and research have inspired and educated generations of activists and whose writings continue to provoke debate
* building alternatives that are both just and pragmatic, for example developing alternative approaches to international drugs policy and providing support for the practical detailed work of public water services reform
* influencing policy makers thanks to its research and its direct links and engagement with mass movements, particularly those most affected by current global economic and social policies
* remaining non-sectarian and able to bridge different political tendencies, thereby helping build coalitions of social movements that span regions and continents
Geographic Scope: International
Experts on similar topics in the Sources Directory:
Connect with Connexions
Newsletter Facebook Twitter