Mandela Park Backyarders/Backyarders
21-971 Albertina Sisulu Crescent, Andile Nhose
Connexions Directory of Groups & Websites 2019
Khayelitsha, Western Cape 7784,
Purpose: The Mandela Park Back-Yarders is a voluntary nonprofit citizens rights group working for housing rights and against evictions in Mandela Park, Khayelitsha. It is an unfunded community group made up entirely of affect residents and representing the most vulnerable individuals and families living in Mandela Park. We focus on providing legal support for residents, conducting workshops and democratic discussions about housing issues, as well as helping build the community's negotiation power vis-a-vis housing and other government officials. The Back-Yarders were formed in order to fight injustice imposed on the voiceless by creating an improved platform for communication between socialists, other radical groups and backyarders across South Africa. This group focuses on the struggles and development issues in Ward 97.
* To raise awareness to all communities about neo-liberal system that has brought misery in our lives.
* To discuss and build our own grassroots theories relating to democracy and socialism
* To build a community-led and community-level radical consciousness (a University of the Poor)
* To organise From Below and to the Left
* To help build a radical culture that is anti-Capitalist and anti-Authoritarian within our communities
* To involve as many communities in the struggle so that we realise that we can build our own adequate houses rather than settle for inadequate and outsourced government houses we see today. Further, we seek to ensure that all issues of development are done in a participatory manner.
* To press the government to listen to poor people and our own solutions rather than government forcing people to obey its decisions.
Geographic Scope: Local
Experts on similar topics in the Sources Directory:
Connect with Connexions
Newsletter Facebook Twitter